One Big Joke

I knew it was going to be difficult raising a girl… but I had no idea she would be causing so much trouble so soon :giggle:

So intent is Small on defying her mother’s wishes for a ‘normal’ delivery (note I’m just talking about the exit-location here – I’m totally pro-drugs!) that she is taking nothing for granted. Let’s examine the facts:

1. One previous C-section – this already stands me in good stead for a second surgical delivery. My hospital of choice is not anti-VBAC, but their policy states subsequent pregnancies should not progress further than 41 weeks, and, most importantly, no chemical inductions will be performed. I understand the reasoning for this, I do (these drugs are associated with a higher risk of uterine rupture at the previous scar site). But this one factor plays a big part in this whole situation.

2. Blood pressure ‘issues’ – currently my blood pressure has been at normal levels for about 5 weeks. This is good. However the increased BP might make a reappearance. If I do develop pre-eclampsia, making it necessary to deliver early, no chemical induction… so, straight to caesarian.

3. Gestational diabetes – currently under good control – I was not placed on insulin, the few high readings I recorded earlier in the piece were attributed to a ‘learning curve’, and all is OK on this front so far. But simply having this diagnosis means my time-limit is now 40 weeks. No GD patient will be allowed to progress past this point. Again, hospital policy. Again… no chemical induction.

These three factors considered are enough to make you (and me) fairly confident that I won’t be having a normal delivery. However, clutching at straws, I’ve requested a ‘stretch and sweep’ – kind of a ‘manual’ induction, if you like. Just to see if I can go into labor at all. (As I doubt I would go into labor naturally before 40 weeks – I was late with Finn). They have consented to do this… at 38 weeks. That early, it probably won’t make an iota of difference. Grrr.

Anyway, just in case all of this wasn’t quite enough, there’s a 4. Wait… you’re gonna love this. I did. (I think I’ve finally reached the point of a slightly resigned ‘what next…?’)

4. She’s breech.

Ahahahahaha….. hmmmm…. :blank:

(Petulant child)

We’re booked for a June 20 (surgical) birth-date. Nine weeks tomorrow… and counting 🙂

8 responses to “One Big Joke

  1. Oh dear! Yeah, I sure wouldn’t hold my breath on that VBAC. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you though!

  2. My goodness! There is still a chance she may turn, but the likelihood?…..

    She certainly is making her presence fully known, isn’t she? 🙂

  3. :love: That’s a wonderful due date! DH and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary that day.

  4. Is there any way of getting her turned around considering you’ve got 9 weeks to go?

    All my good thoughts for you to keep you laughing during this crazy time.

  5. Gosh, Mel. I hope everything goes well for you no matter what happens. I’m sure there’s still time for her to turn so I hope she does. Time will tell what is best for both of you regarding the delivery. Big gentle hugs to you. 🙂

  6. Oh dear…I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway hon, you never know!

  7. Tell that little girl to just settle down right now. 😉 She’s determined to be a handful, isn’t she? I’m sure that however it works out, the end result will be a happy, healthy baby and mom. I’ll be thinking of you over these last 9 weeks!

  8. If it helps any, DS1 was breech until three nights before his schedule C-Section at 40 weeks. He turned one night and it was the most intense pain – I literally woke screaming, but it was a pain that was over and done with almost instantly. I had the GD in both pregnancies 2 C-Sections which I preferred anyway. Good luck:)